3.3.14

Russell Edson (Uma tarde solitária)




ONE LONELY AFTERNOON



Since the fern can’t go to the sink for a drink of water,
I graciously submit myself to the task,
bringing two glasses from the sink.
And so we sit, the fern and I, sipping water together.

Of course I’m more complex than a fern,
full of deep thoughts as I am. But I lay this aside
for the easy company of an afternoon friendship.

I don’t mind sipping water with a fern, even though,
had I my druthers, I’d be speeding through the sky for Stockholm,
sipping a bloody mary with a wedge of lime.

And so we sit one lonely afternoon sipping water together.
The fern looking out of its fronds, and I, looking out of mine…


Russell Edson



Já que o feto não é capaz de ir ao frigo buscar água,
faço eu o trabalho e trago dois copos.
E aqui estamos nós, sentados, a beberricar, eu e o feto.

Sem dúvida, eu sou mais complexo do que o feto,
cheio de pensamentos profundos. Mas ponho isso de lado,
a bem da companhia de uma tarde de amizade.

Não me importo de me pôr a bebericar com um feto,
embora cá por mim preferisse atravessar o céu até Estocolmo,
a tomar um ‘bloody mary’ com lima.

E assim cá estamos nós, na tarde solitária, os dois a beber água,
o feto a olhar de lá, das suas folhas, e eu a olhar de cá das minhas...


(Trad. A.M.)

.