2.9.24

Paul Bailey (Paixão)




PASSION

 

My father’s rolling a cigarette. My mother’s knitting.
There’s silence between them, except for the clickety-clack
of her needles. 

He pours himself another beer. She wonders why
without ever asking the question. He hears it even so
since he’s alert to all the things she doesn’t say. 

It’s now he calls her Woman. She loathes the word.
Woman, he snarls again. Be quiet, Woman.
She goes on knitting. 

I’m in the corner, reading. Although I’m only ten
they’ve named me the Professor. Neither of them knows
how much I see of their unhappiness 

as I look up from my book. I try to picture them
as they must have been once, desperate to clutch each other
like Romeo and Juliet in a place called Verona.
 

Paul Bailey

  

O meu pai enrola um cigarro. A minha mãe faz malha.
Silêncio entre eles, se exceptuarmos o clic clac
das agulhas. 

Outra cerveja para ele. Porquê, interroga-se ela,
sem nunca formular a pergunta. Mesmo assim ele ouve,
atento a tudo o que ela não diz. 

É então que ele lhe chama Mulher. Palavra que ela detesta.
Mulher, resmunga outra vez. Está calada, Mulher.
E ela a tricotar. 

No canto estou eu, a ler. Embora com dez anos apenas
chamam-me o Professor. Desconhecem ambos
quanto eu meu me apercebo da sua infelicidade 

ao erguer os olhos do livro. Tento vê-los
como devem ter sido um dia, mortos por se agarrarem,
Romeu e Julieta num sítio chamado Verona. 


(Trad. FJCC)

 .