3.4.22

Louise Glück (Encruzilhada)




CROSSROADS

 

My body, now that we will not be traveling together much longer
I begin to feel a new tenderness toward you,
very raw and unfamiliar,
like what I remember of love when I was young

- love that was so often foolish in its objectives
but never in its choices, its intensities.
Too much demanded in advance, too much that could not be promised –

My soul has been so fearful, so violent;
forgive its brutality.
As though it were that soul, my hand moves over you cautiously,

not wishing to give offense
but eager, finally, to achieve expression as substance:

it is not the earth I will miss,
it is you I will miss.


Louise Glück

[Griffin]

 

 

Corpo meu, agora que não viajaremos juntos muito mais,
começo a sentir uma nova ternura por ti, estranha e muito crua.
como a que me lembra do amor quando jovem

- amor insensato tantas vezes no propósito
mas nunca nas opções, na intensidade.
Demasiado o que se pedia antecipado, e que prometer-se não podia  - 

Minha alma violenta, de tão cheia de medo,
perdoa-lhe a brutalidade.
Em nome dessa alma, minha mão pousa em ti com cuidado, 

sem ofensa,
ansiosa, enfim, por atingir a expressão como substância: 

eu não vou ter saudades do mundo,
eu vou ter saudade é de ti.

 

(Trad. A.M.)

 .