20.9.22

Louise Glück (Imagem de espelho)



MIRROR IMAGE 

 

Tonight I saw myself in the dark window as
the image of my father, whose life
was spent like this,
thinking of death, to the exclusion
of other sensual matters,
so in the end that life
was easy to give up, since
it contained nothing: even
my mother’s voice couldn’t make him
change or turn back
as he believed
that once you can’t love another human being
you have no place in the world.
 

Louise Glück 

 

Hoje vi-me no espelho do vidro da janela
com a imagem de meu pai, que levou
a vida toda assim,
a pensar na morte, 
com exclusão de tudo o mais,
de modo que foi fácil no fim
entregar a vida, pois não tinha
nada dentro; mesmo a voz
de minha mãe não conseguia fazê-lo mudar
ou tirar-lhe a ideia de que
quem não é capaz de amar outra pessoa
não tem lugar neste mundo.
 

(Trad. A.M.)

.