2.7.14

Mark Strand (Alento)





BREATH



When you see them
tell them that I am still here,
that I stand on one leg while the other one dreams,
that this is the only way,

that the lies I tell them are different
from the lies I tell myself,
that by being both here and beyond
I am becoming a horizon,

that as the sun rises and sets I know my place,
that breath is what saves me,
that even the forced syllables of decline are breath,
that if the body is a coffin it is also a closet of breath,

that breath is a mirror clouded by words,
that breath is all that survives the cry for help
as it enters the stranger’s ear
and stays long after the word is gone,

that breath is the beginning again, that from it
all resistance falls away, as meaning falls
away from life, or darkness falls from light,
that breath is what I give them when I send my love.


Mark Strand



Quando os vires
diz-lhes que eu cá estou,
que uma perna me aguenta
enquanto a outra sonha,
que não há outro jeito,

que as mentiras que eu lhes digo a eles são
diferentes das que digo a mim mesmo,
que por estar quer aqui quer acolá
sou já quase horizonte,

que eu sei o meu lugar já que o sol nasce e se põe,
que o alento é o que me safa,
que mesmo as sílabas forçadas do ocaso são alento,
que o corpo sendo um caixão
é também um depósito de alento,

que o alento é um espelho embaciado pelas palavras,
que é aquilo que sobrevive ao grito de socorro
ao penetrar no ouvido dos outros
e perdurar muito depois de a palavra se ir,

que o alento é o começar de novo, que dele
se desprende a resistência, como o sentido
se desprende da vida, ou o escuro se desprende da luz,
que alento é o que eu lhes dou ao dar-lhes o meu amor.


(Trad. A.M.)

.