15.3.13

Mark Strand (Eu fui explorador polar)





I HAD BEEN A POLAR EXPLORER




I had been a polar explorer in my youth
and spent countless days and nights freezing
in one blank place and then another. Eventually,
I quit my travels and stayed at home,
and there grew within me a sudden excess of desire,
as if a brilliant stream of light of the sort one sees
within a diamond were passing through me.
I filled page after page with visions of what I had witnessed
- groaning seas of pack ice, giant glaciers, and the windswept white
of icebergs. Then, with nothing more to say, I stopped
and turned my sights on what was near. Almost at once,
a man wearing a dark coat and broad-brimmed hat
appeared under the trees in front of my house.
The way he stared straight ahead and stood,
not shifting his weight, letting his arms hang down
at his side, made me think that I knew him.
But when I raised my hand to say hello,
he took a step back, turned away, and started to fade
as longing fades until nothing is left of it.


Mark Strand



Na minha juventude fui um explorador polar
e passei noites e dias incontáveis gelando
de lugar vazio em lugar vazio. Por fim,
deixei de viajar e fiquei em casa,
aí cresceu em mim um repentino excesso de desejo,
como se me tivesse atravessado um resplandecente
feixe de luz daqueles que se vêem no interior de um diamante.
Enchi páginas e páginas com as visões que havia testemunhado -
os rugidos do gelo no mar, glaciares gigantes, o branco dos icebergues
chicoteado pelo vento. Então, sem nada mais para dizer, parei
e dirigi a minha atenção para o que me estava próximo.
Quase ao mesmo tempo,
um homem de casaco negro e chapéu de aba larga
apareceu entre as árvores em frente à minha casa.
A forma como olhou a direito e ficou quieto,
sem se mover minimamente, os braços estendidos
ao longo do corpo, fizeram-me pensar que o conhecia.
Mas quando levantei a mão para o cumprimentar,
ele deu um passo atrás, voltou-se, e começou a desaparecer
como uma ânsia desaparece até que nada sobre dela.


(Trad. L.P.)


[Do trapézio]

.