7.3.11

Russell Edson (Os filósofos)






THE PHILOSOPHERS



I think, therefore I am, said a man whose mother
quickly hit him on the head, saying,
I hit my son on the head, therefore I am.
No no, you’ve got it all wrong, cried the man.
So she hit him on the head again and cried,
therefore I am.
You’re not, not that way; you’re supposed to think,
not hit, cried the man.


…I think, therefore I am, said the man.
I hit, therefore we both are, the hitter and the one
who gets hit, said the man’s mother.
But at this point the man had ceased to be;
unconscious he could not think. But his mother could.
So she thought, I am, and so is my unconscious son,
even if he doesn’t know it.


Russell Edson






Penso, logo existo, disse um homem,
e a mãe deu-lhe logo uma pancada na cabeça, dizendo,
eu bato no meu filho, logo existo.
Não não, percebeste mal, gritou ele.
Então ela deu-lhe na cabeça de novo e gritou,
logo existo.
Nada disso, não é assim, tu tens é de pensar,
não bater, gritou o homem.


... Eu penso, logo existo, diz ele.
Eu bato, diz a mãe, logo nós dois existimos,
eu que dou e tu que apanhas.
Mas o homem nessa altura já tinha deixado de existir,
inconsciente já não pensava. Mas a mãe sim,
e pensou, eu existo,
tal como existe o meu filho inconsciente,
mesmo sem saber.


(Trad. A.M.)

.