15.7.10

Robert Crawford (Olhando)






THE LOOK-IN




One day when I was skiving off my day-job,
sitting writing at my black-ash desk,

eyes down, intent, you came and stood outside
the French windows my son likes to look out of

at age six months. You told me later
how you'd stayed a moment, unseen, watching me

at work in this new house, this warm room,
I imagine, Dad,

you leaning on your stick, eighty years old,
visiting for an instant and then gone.

I want to sit here pressing forward
into the daydream that's the real work,

my job to know you there and know the knowledge
doesn't interrupt me, nourishes what I do

subliminally, not raising my head,
like someone praying: a seventh sense, an eighth.


Robert Crawford



[Marcelo Leites]






Um dia em que eu fiz gazeta ao trabalho
e estava sentado a escrever à secretária,

de olhos baixos, concentrado, tu apareceste e paraste
em frente à janela preferida do meu filho

de seis meses. Contaste-me depois
como te detiveste um momento, sem ser visto, olhando-me

a trabalhar nesta nova casa, neste quarto acolhedor.
Imagino-te, papá,

apoiado na bengala, com teus oitenta anos,
de visita por um instante e a seguir retirado.

Eu quero ficar aqui sentado e insistir
no sonho diurno que é o trabalho real,

que meu papel seja saber-te aí, sabendo que isso
não me atrapalha, alimenta o que faço

subliminarmente, sem erguer a cabeça,
como quem reza: um sétimo sentido, ou oitavo.



(Trad. A.M.)



>>  British Council (sobre)


.